Another emergency room visit

I think we just need to rent a room in the ER because it's like that place is our second home. Elizabeth has been sick since last Sunday night. She started being really nauseous and then came the vomiting and diarrhea. Joy, right? She was home from school all week because just when we thought she was over it and let her have a little solid food, like noodle soup, she gets severe stomach pains again. Thursday night I just couldn't handle seeing her curled up in a fetal ball on the floor in tears because it hurt so bad, so I called the advice nurse, who after 15 minutes of questions advised us to get Elizabeth to the emergency room within the next hour. I wasn't panicky worried, because I just don't get that way. But I was a little worried when she started singing "Why does it have to be my stomach? Why do I have to be sick?" Poor baby. So, we got to the ER at 10pm and a measly two hours later we were in a room with our very own TV which totally pleased Elizabeth. LOL. The doctor did his exam, decided that it was probably constipation, but he'd like to still have some blood work, x-rays, and a urine sample. WHAT? I have to let her pee on my hand? She's 8 now, can't she pee on her own hand? LOL Nahhhh it really doesn't bother me. Unfortunately, she couldn't go potty. She hadn't drunk anything because she was scared of a tummy ache; she last pee'd at 4 in the afternoon...it was now 8 hours later. Hmmm, definitely dehydrated. The nurse came in to put in an IV, I told her she might need someone to hold her arm still while I soothed her by rubbing her legs. That really calms her down. She actually did really well. No screaming or crying, just a little whimpering. They managed to get the IV in on the first try and pulled the blood for the labs through the IV, started the drip and gave us the urine cup and said to call when she had a sample. Okay, so almost one full IV bag and chest and tummy x-rays later, she finally had to go. YAY. So, the outcome wound up being that all the trouble started with a tummy virus last weekend, which in turn caused her to become dehydrated. The dehydration caused her to become constipated and also caused a minor UTI (urinary tract infection). So, we're really pushing the fluids, even though her tummy still hurts. I told her if she doesn't drink, she'll wind up having to have another IV and she doesn't want that. We wound up getting home at 515 am, I grabbed a short nap and got to work late. I'm feeling okay even though I'm not sleeping well. I'm not sure what that's all about. Oh well. I'll write more this weekend (which is long, YAY). I'll do some scrapping and post some layouts and get you all up to date on the sales and happenings with my designers! Thank you for listening to me ramble!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December 2011 Blog Train Freebie

Final Day of the Bunny Hop Blog Hop (Freebie)

Day 4 of the Divine Bunny Hop Blog Hop